Staying in Melbourne over Easter? Start planning your weekend with our handy guide. From shopping, attractions, cinemas and more, we’ve got you covered.
All major city cinemas will operate as normal over the Easter weekend.
- Hoyts Cinemas, Melbourne Central
- IMAX Melbourne Museum, Rathdowne Street
- Palace Kino Cinemas, Collins Street
- 4D Dynamic Cinema, Russell Street
- Village Cinemas Crown, Southbank
Check websites for session times.
These attractions are open all long weekend:
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium: 9.30am–6pm
- Melbourne Zoo: 9am–5pm
- Eureka Skydeck 88: 10am–10pm
- National Gallery of Victoria: 10am–5pm
- Ian Potter Centre, NGV Australia: 10am–5pm
- Cooks’ Cottage: 9am–5pm
- Royal Botanic Gardens: 7.30am – sunset
- Melbourne Star Observation Wheel: 11am–10pm
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI): 10am–5pm
- Melbourne Visitor Hub at Town Hall: Friday 10am – 5pm, all other days 9am–6pm
- Artvo: Friday, Saturday, Monday 10am–9pm, Sunday 10am–5pm
- Goboat Melbourne: Regular trading hours.
These attractions are open some of the long weekend:
- Melbourne Cricket Ground Tours: no tours Friday, Saturday and Monday. Open Sunday 10am – 5pm.
Closed Good Friday:
- Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA)
- Melbourne Museum
- O’Brien Group Arena
- City Circle Tram
- City Gallery
- Melbourne City Sightseeing Bus
- Melbourne Cricket Ground Tours
- Melbourne Museum
- Old Treasury Building
- Old Melbourne Gaol
- Rod Laver Arena Tours
- Shrine of Remembrance
- State Library of Victoria
- Koorie Heritage Trust
- Immigration Museum
- GlowGolf Docklands
- Hardrock Climbing
Closed all Easter:
Supermarkets and markets
- Coles, Elizabeth St Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday: 8am-midnight, Easter Sunday and Monday: 7am-midnight
- Coles, Melbourne Central Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday: 8am–midnight, Easter Sunday: 9am–midnight, Monday: 6am–midnight
- Woolworths, QV Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday 8am–10pm
- Queen Victoria Market Good Friday and Easter Monday: Closed Easter Saturday: 6am–3pm Easter Sunday: 9am–4pm
Some smaller retailer’s such as IGA and 7-Eleven will open several stores. These stores will be open on Good Friday:
- 7-Eleven stores: Federation Square, Swanston Street stores and Bourke Street stores
- IGA X-Press store: Collins Street, Flinders Street
The Arts Centre Melbourne Sunday Market will be open as usual on Easter Sunday 10am–4pm.
The Docklands Sunday Market will be open as usual Easter Sunday 10am–5pm.
- Myer, Bourke Street Mall Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday: 9am–7pm, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday: 10am–7pm
- David Jones, Bourke Street Mall Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday 9am–7pm, Easter Sunday and Monday: 10am–7pm
- Emporium Melbourne, Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Monday: 10am–6pm
- Melbourne Central Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Monday: 10am–6pm
- QV Melbourne Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday: 10am-6pm, Easter Sunday: 10am-5pm, Easter Monday: 10am-7pm
- The Strand Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Monday: 10am–6pm
- GPO Melbourne Retailers trade own hours
- Collins234, Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday: 12–5pm
- Southgate Good Friday: Closed, Easter Saturday: 9am–5pm, Easter Sunday: Closed, Easter Monday: 10am–4pm (check individual store hours)
- The District Docklands Good Friday, Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday: 10am-6pm (some store trading hours may vary)
What’s On is a great starting point for details on transport to and from the city. Metropolitan public transport will operate to a limited timetable during the Easter period, with some delays anticipated. Visit Public Transport Victoria for more information.
V/Line regional services will operate to a limited timetable during the Easter period. Some services may require bookings. Visit V-Line or call 1800 800 007 for timetables and more information.