Looking for ideas on how to kick off the new year? We’ve pulled together some notes on where you can shop, eat and keep the kids entertained on New Year’s Day 2016.
Galleries and Museums
- ACMI, 9am till late
- NGV International, 10am to 8pm (check out the Andy Warhol Ai Wewei exhibition, with entertainment until 10pm from The Apartments)
- Ian Potter Centre, 10am to 5pm
- Melbourne Museum, 10am to 5pm
- Immigration Museum, 10am to 5pm
- National Sports Museum, 10am to 5pm
- Emporium, 10am to 6pm
- Melbourne Central, 10am to 6pm
- Myer Melbourne, 10am to 7pm
- David Jones, midday to 7pm
- DFO South Wharf, 10am to 6pm
- QV Retail, 10am to 6pm
- Southgate, 10am to 8pm
- The Strand Melbourne, 10am to 6pm
Markets and supermarkets
Queen Vic Market will be closed, but most major supermarkets will be open, including:
- Woolworths (Southern Cross Station), 6am to midnight
- Woolworths (QV), 9am to 10pm
- Woolwortths (Swanston Street), 5am to 12am
- Coles (Elizabeth & Flinders St), 8am to 1am
- Aldi, 501 Swanston Street, 8:30am to 8pm
Cafes and restaurants
- Brunetti Carlton, 10am -11pm, Brunetti City Square, 10am – 7pm
- Chin Chin, 11am-11pm
- Hutong Dumpling Bar, 11.30am-3pm, 5.30-10.30pm
- Jardin Tan (from 8am) and The Terrace (from 9am) at the Royal Botanic Gardens
- KereKere Green, 8am to 5pm
- The Wharf Hotel, open from midday
- Emporium Café Court, 10am to 6pm
- Eureka Skydeck 88, 10am to 10pm
- Melbourne Zoo, 9am to 5pm
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium, 9.30am to 6pm
- Royal Botanic Gardens, 7.30am to sunset (Jardin Tan and The Terrace open as normal)
- Federation Square, open from 10am
- Crown Entertainment Complex, open 24 hours
- Cooks’ Cottage, 9am to 5pm
- Myer Christmas Windows, 7.30am to 1am
All city cinemas will be open on New Year’s Day, including:
- ACMI, Federation Square
- Hoyts, Melbourne Central
- Village Cinemas, Crown Entertainment Complex
- Kino Cinema, 45 Collins Street, Melbourne
- Cinema Nova, 380 Lygon Street, Carlton
- IMAX, Melbourne Museum
If you prefer your cinema experiences to be outside, check out Hotel Transylvania 2 at the Moonlight Cinema.
- Public transport operates to a Saturday timetable, with extra services.
- V/Line (regional trains) operates to a Saturday timetable. Some services may require bookings.
- Melbourne Visitor Shuttle operates from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
- Melbourne Airport: Skybus and Starbus operate as normal.
- Avalon Airport Transfers operates as normal.
- Melbourne Visitor Centre, 9am to 6pm
- Melbourne Visitor Booth, 9am to 5pm
- Fitzroy Gardens Visitor Centre, 9am to 5pm
Happy New Year from the City of Melbourne!