Melbourne’s pulse never truly stops so although Christmas Day is quieter, there are still things to see, do and eat. Find out how to get the most out of the city with our guide to what’s open on Christmas Day.
Where to eat
Cafes and restaurants
If it’s a Christmas meal you’re after, see our list of restaurants offering special Christmas Day dining. Make sure you contact individual venues for booking availability. Some restaurants will be open in Chinatown, Crown Entertainment Complex, Docklands, Lygon Street and Southgate.
The following venues are open on Christmas Day:
- La Petite Creperie kiosks at Swanston St and La Petite Creperie in a Vintage Caravan at QV will be open from 12pm – 10.30pm.
- The Butchers Diner is open for some carnivore style sustenance from breakfast to dinner and later into the evening.
- Auction Rooms in North Melbourne will have their kitchen open from 7.30am – 3.30pm but they’ll still be serving coffee and cakes until 5pm.
- Tim Ho Wan on Bourke Street is open from 10am – 10pm to cater for all your dumpling needs
- Square and Compass in East Melbourne are open 7.30 – 10am for coffee.
- Transport Hotel is open from 11am until late
Things to do
Christmas light shows and decorations
Santa will be taking a well-earned break on Christmas Day, but Christmas Square is still open. This is your last chance to see the twinkling lights of the 16 metre tall LED Christmas tree at Federation Square. The spectacular Christmas Projections also finish on Christmas night. See this year’s feature show, a ‘Very Melbourne Night Before Christmas’. Written by Marieke Hardy and narrated by Lee Lin Chin it’s on at the State Library Victoria. After that, move on to the Melbourne Town Hall and this year’s new location, Princes Bridge.
Section 8’s Christmas orphan’s party
Finish off their 8 Days of Christmas festivities with a free Christmas day BBQ party at Section 8. Whether you’re riding solo or you want to take Nan for post-pav kick ons, they’ve got the ultimate food, bev and music lineup to make your day merry and bright. On from 2 to 11pm.
Keep the family entertained at one of these great Melbourne attractions.
Catch a Christmas Day flick at a city cinema.
- Village Cinemas, Crown Entertainment Complex, Southbank
- Cinema Nova, 380 Lygon Street, Carlton
- Hoyts Melbourne Central, Melbourne Central, Cnr Latrobe and Swanston Streets, Melbourne
Architecture and public walks
Parks and gardens
Bring a picnic and hope for good weather at these lovely parks and gardens.
If you’re desperate for milk, bread, a sandwich or a coffee, some 7-Eleven stores will be open. These include Federation Square, Swanston Street, Elizabeth Street and Bourke Street. The IGA Express stores in Queen and Collins streets will also be open.
The Health Smart pharmacy within the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre is open 24 hours, every day of the week.