If you’re in Melbourne after Christmas Day and keen to get out and about, there’s plenty open from Boxing Day onwards.
Shops and department stores
On Boxing Day and beyond, many stores will be open for the sales, including Myer, David Jones, Debenhams and stores in Emporium, Melbourne Central, St Collins Lane as well as Melbourne’s streets and laneways.
Cafes and restaurants
- The Botanical is open throughout, as is Gilson
- Matilda is open every day, but lunch and dinner schedules vary over the break, so call to check
- Domain Brasserie is open except for the public holidays
- Gilson is open throughout.
West and North Melbourne
- Auction Rooms is open every day, with special trading hours on Boxing Day from 7am to 5pm
- Twenty and Six is open from 8am to 2pm on Boxing Day and open all other days besides the public holidays and first three days of the new year.
- Code Black is open every day except public holidays
- Willows & Wine is open from Thursday 27 December and closed on New Year’s Eve.
Parkville and Carlton
- Brunetti‘s original Carlton stalwart is open from 6am until late on Boxing Day and every other day
- Heartattack and Vine is open from 8am to 11pm on Boxing Day, then the usual days after until New Year’s Eve when it’s closed
- Donnini’s Restaurant opens from Boxing Day onwards and is closed New Year’s Eve
- Capitano reopens from 5.30pm on Friday 28 December.
- Sensory Lab outside of David Jones on Little Collins Street reopens at 7am on Boxing Day.
- Dukes Coffee Roasters reopens at 7am Thursday 27 December onwards (9am on the Saturday).
- The Butchers Diner is always open for carnivore style sustenance from breakfast to dinner and beyond.
- State of Grace is open every day from 12pm.
- Brunetti‘s city store reopens at 7am on Boxing Day
- Supernormal reopens from 11am on Thursday 27 December onwards.
- At Federation Square, Transport Hotel is open every day from 11am until late
- Taxi Kitchen opens 5pm until late on Boxing Day, 12pm until late from Thursday 27 December until Sunday 30 December
- Transit Rooftop Bar is open 12pm until late on Boxing Day until Sunday 30 December
- Chocolate Buddha will be open every day except the public holidays
- There will also be some restaurants open in Docklands, Chinatown and South Wharf promenade.
Recreation centres and swimming pools
Carlton Baths reopens from 1pm to 6pm on Boxing Day. Kensington Community Recreation Centre opens from 1pm on Boxing Day, then resumes normal hours (besides closing at 5pm on New Year’s Eve).
Melbourne City Baths and North Melbourne Recreation Centre reopen from 6am to 8pm Thursday 27 December.
Libraries and community hubs
City Library reopens on Thursday 27 December from 9am to 5pm, and North Melbourne Library and Library at The Dock open from 10am to 5pm. See more information about library opening hours.
The State Library of Victoria opens from 10am to 6pm on Thursday 27 December and the days following, including New Year’s Eve.
Queen Victoria Market
The Queen Victoria Market reopens on Thursday 27 December with normal opening hours. It’s closed on public holidays and on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Supermarkets and chemists
Most supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths Metro stores will reopen on Boxing Day. Chemist Warehouse in the Midtown building and My Chemist on Elizabeth Street will both be open from 7.30am to 10pm on Boxing Day. Plenty of other chemists will be too.
Keep the family entertained at one of these great Melbourne attractions.
- ACMI is open from 10am
- Eureka Skydeck 88 is open from 10am to 5.30pm
- Melbourne Museum is open from 10am to 5pm
- Melbourne Zoo is open from 9am to 5pm
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium is open from 9.30am to 6pm
- Royal Botanic Gardens is open from 7.30am to sunset (the Children’s Garden opens at 10am)
- Crown Entertainment Complex is open 24 hours a day.
- Melbourne Star Observation Wheel is open from 11am to 10pm daily.
The following cinemas have Boxing Day screenings, then resume normal programming.
Village Cinemas at Crown, Cinema Nova in Carlton and Palace Kino on Collins Street reopen on Boxing Day with several sessions. Moonlight Cinema at Royal Botanic Gardens, also reopens with a session on Boxing Day.
Parks and gardens
Bring a picnic and hope for good weather at these lovely parks and gardens.
- Queen Victoria Gardens – including an installation at MPavilion
- Birrarung Marr
- Carlton Gardens
- Fitzroy Gardens
- Royal Botanic Gardens
See a full list of Melbourne parks.
Take advantage of the quieter streets and go on one of many self-guided walks around the city. Check out these different walks and plan your own adventure.
On New Year’s Eve, public transport is free from 6pm and runs all night.