The Melbourne Cup carnival kicks off this week with Derby Day, so we thought we’d take a closer look at the race that stops a nation. Here are six facts you might not know about the Melbourne Cup, including which barrier you may be betting on this year… if you’re a probability nerd, that is.
Did you know?
1. The Emirates Melbourne Cup trophy, made by ABC Bullion, is delivered to the VRC approximately one year and five days before the race is run.
2. The Emirates Melbourne Cup Trophy is valued at $175,000 – although with gold prices soaring since it was made twelve months ago, this value is seen as quite conservative.
4. At $6.2 million in prize money, the Emirates Melbourne Cup is the richest handicap race conducted anywhere in the world.
5. Barrier 18 is the only barrier yet to have a Melbourne Cup winner.
6. There are more than 16,000 rose bushes at Flemington. The roses are pruned and tied during the winter months, which totals 1,568 hours of labour.