With over 300 stores under one roof, Melbourne Central is one of the city’s eminent shopping and dining destinations. Not only are they home to many Australian and international fashion and beauty brands, a cinema complex, and a rooftop hotel; now they’re delving further into the art world and continuing to support social enterprises in innovative ways. What will they do next?!
Art Loop – a new, large-scale digital gallery
Suspended along Melbourne Central’s new-look lower floor, Art Loop is a permanent installation featuring fifteen state-of-the-art LCD screens and five projector portals – making it home to Australia’s largest evolving exhibition of video art on display outside an institution.
Changing regularly and projecting continuously, each exhibition will feature videos by internationally renowned, emerging and established Australian artists. The inaugural show includes work by more than 30 artists, including Brie Trennery, Adele Varcoe, Diego Ramirez, Hannah Raisin, Simon Pericich, Tristan Jalleh and Martine Corompt.
Featuring collaborations with some of Melbourne’s best-known artist-run spaces, Art Loop will also offer an annual award, allowing one artist to travel to LOOP Barcelona – the world’s largest festival for video art.
On display until July 2016, Art Loop’s first immersive shows will surprise and intrigue you—so make inspiring and experimental art a part of your day in the city!
Denim Drive – donate the old and save on the new!
This month Melbourne Central are inviting you to donate your old denim to a great cause – and save on a brand new pair of jeans in the process.
The five steps of Denim Drive are simple:
- Donate your old denim items at Melbourne Central Guest Services Desk between 1 – 30 April.
- In return, grab a denim discount voucher to use at a participating Melbourne Central retailers including: MRP, General Pants, Cotton On and Jeans West.
- They will send your donated denim to BeeKeeper and HoMie, two great social enterprise initiatives based at Melbourne Central who direct profits from their sales to help people in need, both here and overseas.
- BeeKeeper will transform your pre-loved denim into new products – backpacks, iPad covers and more. You’ll be able to spot these new creations on sale throughout the year.
- Go shopping to grab a great discount on your new denim and feel good in the process!