Cheap and cheerful or luxe and loaded. Whatever your weekend takeout budget sitch is, the city’s got dining deals for you. If you’re within 5kms you can swing by to pick up. But most places also have delivery options for a little extra. Check their socials or your app of choice for more info.
Under $15 per person
- Recreate a weekly Tim Ho Wan yum cha, wherever you are. Cold out? A comforting bowl of congee is just the ticket for $7.80. Or score a dim sum dream lunchbox. Packed with BBQ Pork Buns, prawn dumplings and spring rolls for only $10.80.
- Bring the fiesta back to your life and pick up an order from La Tortilleria. Individual tacos are a mere 6 bucks a pop, or you can grab meal kits that cover 4 meals for less than $60 all up. That includes a ready-made bundle of 15 corn tortillas, fillings, sides, guac and salsa. They’ve even got a vegan version!
- Bao down once more, as Wonderbao have reopened in the form of an online store. Shop for all their famous flavours like fried chicken, custard buns, vegan faves and more. Most 6 and 10-packs clock in at less than $3 a piece – like the pork belly gua bao.
- Order a NeNe kimchi crispy chicken burger for an $11 Korean fried chicken fix. Go super spicy with a crispy fried and ‘Swicy’ spiced 6 pack for $8. And when you need a lil snack – does anything beat a $5 potato tornado? Call to order and be an instant VIP at pick-up.
- Grab a huge bowl of beef, chicken or shroom and tofu pho for a mere $14 from Pho Nom. Get your hands on that banh mi you’ve been missing – crispy roast pork belly for $9. Call up and take away from their Collins St digs Mon-Fri 10-3.
- Roasted porchetta, riso al forno, eggplant lasagna….the list of rustic Italian options goes on at Saluministi. These ready to eat meals can be ordered online, picked up IRL and heated in minutes. Each dish feeds 2 – 3 people, for around $10 a pop.
- Hawker Chan’s soya sauce chicken rice has local cult status. At $8.30 its also a steal. Or get your dumpling and noodle fix in one with the $10 wonton and Char Siew noodles.
- Stock up on sicilian-style lasagne, or a primo six pack of pies from Devgraves favorite The Quarter Cafe. At less than $40 and serving 4-6, you’re looking at a mere $10 pp. Open for takeway and delivery.
- Yuzu is delivering its Japanese comfort food 30kms around their Devgraves digs. Grab the cripsy katsu, vego curry or pork bely miso with rice and sides from just $12.
$15 – 30 per person
- No burg comes more stacked than the range at Burgertory. Grab yourself a southern fried chicken burger with a tim tam milkshake on the side and you’ll barely break two tenners. Or drop it all on the charcoal-bunned ‘greed’ burger. It’s a towering stack of smashed angus patties, fried chicken and signature sinner sauce.
- Laneway newbies Marameo have joined forces with their Bar Carolina family to bring a warming winter fave. Give yourself the comfort of fresh pappardelle with rabbit ragu, artichoke and truffle pecorino. The beloved $20 caccio a pepe pasta lunch special is on the menu too. Order for takeaway, or see if you’re in the zone for contactless delivery.
- Crispy skin chicken, silky noodles, a perfectly spiced broth and all the trimmings. Old Man Pho on Menulog is delivering bowls of Vietnamese comfort food. Add a bahn mi or rice paper rolls and you’ve got yourself a tidy little meal.
- Takeaway need not feel naughty. King & Godfree’s sensational homemade meal range is off the charts with flavour and quality. Grab little lasagnas, Italian meatballs, fresh cannelloni, handmade gnocchi and more. Then just heat and eat.
- Hello Jose is a hidden cult-fave bringing cheap and cheerful feasts to the hungry. Find taco kits tailored for couples ($45) or singles ($28), with fixings for four tacos each. Call ahead on 9326 3934 to order pick up.
$30 – 50 per person
- Daughter in Law made a massive impact on Melbourne foodies fast. Their takeaway menu is winter comfort food to a T – with that slightly ‘unauthentic’ twist we’ve come to love from the DIL crew. Feast on sticky Indo-Chinese cauliflower, veggie samosas, garlic naan and quality curries. Opt for a special takeaway pack filled with curry, naan, rice and all the trimmings.
- Hakata Gensuke is open for takeaway. Order ramen plus a refreshing asahi bev and you’ll still have change for gyoza and karaage on the side.
- The takeaway treats at Tazio begin when you stroll through the street art of Duckboard Place on your way to grab dinner. The takeaway menu features all the classics, from arancini and gourmet pizza to handmade pasta and crispy skin salmon.
- While your body is stuck at home, let your taste buds travel over to France by way of Entrecote. The at-home range offers authentic escargot, cheesy french onion soup, macaron packs and an exquisite range of French wines. Or go for the entire Entrecote at-home experience with a date night pack. Tuck into juicy steaks, fresh baguette and chocolate mousse then let your mind wander to the streets of Paris.
- Keen to continue your burger tour of Melbourne, takeaway style? Carlton’s brand new MOFO Burgers has a menu that won’t disappoint. You’ll find the usual suspects along with vego burgers, pork crackling creations and a cheese loaded sides menu. A burger, shake and a side will set you back about 30 bucks on the dot – maybe a little more if you grab dessert too.
Finer dining delights for those special iso occasions
As lockdown lingers, life goes on. Mark birthdays, anniversaries and other celebrations with a meaningful meal at home.
- The team from Hemingway’s is now offering exquisite French dining set menus to be enjoyed at home, either for takeaway (if you’re within 5km) or delivery. Each menu is themed after one of Hemingway’s most popular books, from the vegetarian ‘Garden of Eden’ dinner to a 6-course ‘moveable feast’. And it all arrives ready to eat.
- For the first time, Punch Lane has packed up its iconic dishes to deliver. Dine on duck cassoulet and seafood ravioli. Stock up on pantry staples like fresh pasta and Napoli sauce too. Get free delivery for orders over $100.
- Make Maha magic at home with Shane Delia’s famous Middle Eastern menu. Order Turkish beef dumplings and turmeric fried chicken. Or feed the family with a ready-to-cook lamb shoulder feast. Now available for delivery via Providoor.
- Order the ultimate comfort food from fresh pasta haven Tipo00. Pick ready to cook fresh rigatoni or casarecce and wagyu bolognese. Need a feed pronto? Order braised duck gnocchi and polenta chips. Add a bottle of vino from the excellent selection.
- Stock your cellar and larder with the finest Spanish food and wine, through Movida‘s online store, now available on Providoor. The ‘Menú Del Día’ home delivery box is released weekly and filled with deli staples like cheese, bread and prosciutto, plus ready-to-heat meals.
- Restore some normalcy with Supernormal’s lobster roll. Add all the classics like miso pumpkin, buttermilk fried chicken and peanut butter parfait. Order from them on Providoor.
- Italian institution Grossi Florentino’s indulgent menu is now available at home. Feast on arancini, pumpkin tortellini, and lasagna. Order a fine wine and finish with the tiramisu. Handmade by chefs Guy Grossi and Chris Rodriguez, from their casa to yours. The ready-to-heat menu is available for pick up or delivery.
Please note due to current circumstances, businesses may close or run out of stock at short notice. Check with individual venues for more information.