Winter is here and the days are getting colder. It’s time to stock up on those cosy essentials that go hand in hand with Melbourne’s chilly season.
- Fashion haven Emporium is open daily from 10am to 5pm, though individual stores have different hours. Check out free-flowing jersey suits and dresses made from organic cotton at bassike. Or choose effortlessly cool insignia wool knits and wide-leg trousers from Aje.
- If you’ve never met a scent you didn’t like, then MetaScent is the bespoke perfumery for you. Come out of iso fresh as a daisy in store, take a one-of-a-kind perfumers workshop (now 15% off!) or order something scented online
- Paint n Powder in Royal Arcade has been serving glittering glam for over 50 years. Visit for fab fragrances, sparkly accessories, winter scarves and more.
- Home to Dinosaur Designs’ collection of jewellery and homewares, The Strand is open daily from 10am. The arcade closes at 7pm Saturday to Wednesday, and at 9pm on Thursday and Friday.
- Sneak subterranean and explore Campbell Arcade, where the Sneaker Laundry has just launched a pop-up. Or pay them a visit on Lonsdale Street to grab all the essentials to keep your kicks super fresh.
- QV is open daily, Monday to Thursday from 10am to 7pm, Friday 10am to 9pm, Saturday 10am to 6pm and Sunday 10am to 5pm. Again, hours differ for individual stores. Pick up new-style sweats and soft merino knitwear at Assembly Label. Snuggle into a new loose-fit wool coat or wind-cheating wool turtleneck from Kloke. Find your new go-to classic piece at A.P.C. Support local Victorian women and non-binary artists, makers and designers by buying your next special gift at the QVCW SHOP!
- Melbourne Central is open daily from 10am to 5pm, with stores operating different hours. Go for signature style at búl with draped dresses and tailored outlines, or warm-up bold jumpers. Of course, your Melbourne winter wardrobe isn’t complete without a cord suit and knit dress from Incu.
- The Myer Melbourne City store is open for click and collect only, daily from 10am to 5pm. Check the website for revised opening hours as winter continues.
- Tucked away in Degraves Street, cute as a button Clementine’s is a must for knitwear heads. Look out for merino wool scarves in geometric patterns and chunky cable knits.
- The fabrics are eclectic, colourful and dynamic at Jay Dillon menswear on Swanston Street. Pair a tailored check jacket with a paisley patterned shirt for a look that’s sheer Melbourne.
- For a winter scarf adorned with a local theme of trams and terrace houses, choose from nine different colours at Melbournalia.
- David Jones kept its doors open throughout lockdown. Now they’re celebrating with up to 60% savings on clearance sale fashion items and 30% or more in the designer sale
- Quirky shoe fiends Fluevog are open for trade in their funky corner shop, fitted out with neon signs and eclectic designs. The latest collab features chic winter boots by Anna Sui, with comfy insoles made from 20% recycled materials. You can even grab a vegan ‘leather’ pair and tread around on 100% recycled rubber soles.
- H&M at GPO Melbourne has reopened just in time to fill our wardrobes with fun winter staples. Then duck into Driver Lane to see what Monk House Design has in store. Pick up an indigo shift to pop over warm layers or a pair of classic pyjamas for curling up in front of the fire.
- Luxe wonderland Harrolds is back in business on Collins Street. Shop the current sale for up to 50% off, or give them a call and book in for a private one-on-one shopping session.
- If you’re looking to add a timeless classic to your winter wardrobe, you can’t go past Jac+Jack. Sustainable and ethical, this brand creates pieces that will last you for many years to come.
- Support Victoria’s art community at Craft. Featuring an array of ceramics, furniture, jewellery, textiles, fibre and glass, you’re sure to find something you can’t live without.
- Tucked away in the Nicholas Building, Muses of Mystery is the place to go for all your occult needs. Find a whole range of magickal products including candles, tarot cards and books.
- Collins Place retailers are open and have their shelves stocked with pieces to transition you back to work. Fend of the winter chills with a new winter coat from Digbys (currently 20% off) or rug up in one of Cable’s luxury knits. Local designer Jacqui Fernandes is also open for stylish evening wear and accessories. For classic, sleek layering head to Feathers. For men, MJ Bale has something to suit every dress code and Gazman has you covered for both business and casual. Try Seed Heritage for cool kids wear and contemporary women’s clothing.
The District Docklands is open daily from 10am to 6pm. Source fluffy chenille knits from celebrity-inspired fashion hub ally. Refresh your stock of essential leggings, puffer jackets and thermal layers at Uniqlo. Find your size in fashion and denim at City Chic ‘world of curves’, and comfy long-sleeved tees and hoodies at Cotton On Body. If you’re keen to get back outdoors, Kathmandu have all you’ll need for that weekend away.
Need a new pair of kicks? You can afford to spend up big at Hype DC. Their huge range of branded footwear is up to 70% all year round. For something unique, Underrated stock brands like Air Jordan, Adidas Yeezy and Supreme. If comfort’s your thing, you can’t go past Skechers.
- At Collective Closets in Queen Victoria Market, the focus is on local designers and ethical practices. Those denim culottes and bold-print box tees will never go out of fashion.
- Make a splash this winter in one-off designer boots from Martin Fella Vintage in North Melbourne. With racks and racks of couture fashion, this isn’t your usual preloved store.
- For more vintage clothing, head to American Rag at QV and Southgate. Their range of fifties-style checked lumber jackets, plaid wool shirts and retro tunics are second to none. Or spoil yourself at Spoilt, with the latest in one-size-fits-all ponchos and wraps.
- For rare second-hand vinyl you can’t go past White Rabbit Record Bar in Kensington. This bar-meets-cafe sells everything from vinyl rarities to $1 bargains. DJs often hit the decks on weekends.
- Are you a ‘flats only’ shoe wearer? Family owned and run Radical Yes sells flat-soled shoes with a focus on functionality, style and transparent design. Visit their North Melbourne fitting salon for a look at their creative range of comfortable shoes.
- Dreaming of long summer days and the sound of leather on willow? Sturdy Sports offer an extensive range of equipment and apparel to get you kitted out and match ready for cricket season.
Wait, there’s more
If you’ve missed a birthday in the past few months, or your chance to buy that special gift, try to resist the precious gems at Steve Pallas, Temelli Jewellery or Lightning Ridge Opal Mines. For a gorgeous bespoke gift head to the Gray Reid Gallery, specialists in local, small-scale contemporary Australian jewellery. For contemporary, one-of-a-kind jewellery, head to Love It in historic Royal Arcade. And if a box of sweet treats is what’s required, The Chocolate Box at Collins Place has enticing special offers in-store.