We’re a lucky bunch here in Melbourne. Whether you’re after handmade decorations, unique gifts, or the freshest ingredients for nanna’s top secret Christmas pudding, there’s a market just right for you. Here are some of the options for the festive season.
Queen Vic Market
With an array of fresh fruit and vegetable stalls, an amazing deli section and other diverse offerings, you can’t go past the Queen Victoria Market. Open for eight consecutive days in the lead-up to Christmas, there no excuse not to stock up on the freshest produce! While you’re there, check out these events:
- Santa and his elves will be at the Christmas Hub every weekend in December, and on the three days before Christmas, between 10am to 2pm.
- Estelle and Saint Crispin’s chef, Scott Pickett, will host free sessions on preparing light, summery dishes on 12 and 13 December, noon to 1.30pm.
- The Night Market, on every Wednesday (except 25 December), features yummy food, interesting stalls and a festive atmosphere.
The Big Design Market
For designer gifts, drop in to The Big Design Market at the beautiful Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton. The three-day market features stalls from more than 200 Australian and international designers, making it the biggest market of its kind in the country. Browse books, stationery, fashion and accessories, homewares and textiles, lifestyle and children’s products, from Friday 6 to Sunday 8 December. Entry is free.
Other great Melbourne markets
- The Arts Centre Sunday Market fills the Arts Centre Lawn every Sunday from 10am-4pm, featuring more than 80 of Victoria’s finest artisans, artists and producers selling local hand-made arts, crafts and edible goodies. Entry is free.
- The Festive Foodie Market will tempt you with everything from southern-style BBQ ribs, tiger prawns and gourmet sausages, jars of Fed Square rooftop honey, Christmas puddings, gingerbread men and live music and entertainment. Part of Fed Square’s Christmas program, Spirit of the Square, it’s on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 December from 11am to 4pm. Entry is free.
- The North Melbourne Market, run by the passionate people at Thread Den, features vintage fabrics and clothing, handmade jewellery and other unique gifts. It’s on Sunday 15 December from 11am to 3pm. Entry is free.
Stay up-to-date with the latest Melbourne Christmas news and ideas at the 30 Days of Christmas blog.